The History of Grey Gables Inn
During the mid-19th century, the little town of Sutter Creek, in Amador County, California, bustled with activity as hard rock miners made their way to and from the many gold mines that dotted the surrounding hills, Throughout the day, stage coaches and express riders dashed down the dusty main street -- part of the primary north/south road that wound its way through a myriad of other mining towns along the Mother Lode.
In the late 1870's, Bishop Patrick Manogue of the Catholic Church in Sacramento purchased a number of lots in the growing little town, and on one of these lots, at the corner of Amelia and Hanford Streets, the Church built a Catholic School. Upon the Bishop's death in 1895 the property was willed to Patrick Riordan, Archbishop of San Francisco, who later sold the property to Thomas Grace of Sacramento.
While the structure that sits today on this historic corner bears little resemblance to its earlier predecessor, much of the original building was retained as a core for remodeling efforts. Today's Grey Gables Inn is truly a union of old and new, combining old fashioned style and charm with modern comfort and convenience.